- Accenture announces it will purchase 60,000 VR headsets to train new hires.
Why it Matters: More demand for hardware will create more competition among headset manufacturers which will advance innovation.
2. HTC announces the release of new immersive glasses for relaxation.
Why it Matters: More affordably priced headsets in the marketplace targeted at specific consumer applications like relaxation will increase adoption among consumers.
3. Facebook announces it will hire 10,000 new employees in Europe focused on building out metaverse.
Why it Matters: With 10,000 employees in the U.S. already working on AR and VR, this is a clear indication that the largest social media company in the world is going all in on a 3D future globally.
4. Magic Leap raises another $500m and reveals Magic Leap 2.
Why it Matters: Having now raised a total of $3.5b, it shows that large investors see augmented and virtual reality as a long-term play.
5. Paris Hilton headlines the inaugural Metaverse Festival and embraces the decentralized world of blockchain, Decentraland, and Genies.
Why it Matters: Alternative social VR platforms show that Mark Zuckerberg’s metaverse isn’t the only game in town meaning more choices for consumers, more innovation, and less centralized control.